Department of Zoology
Under Graduate Classes of Zoology Department were shifted in the year 1969 in this building as those previously were running in a common building of Madhav Arts and Science College Ujjain . Dr A B Saxena was the first Head of the Department of Zoology . In 1973-1974 post graduate classes in Zoology started and at present running successfully. Initially being part of Vikram University , Research Centre was also established long back. At present we are having six registered research guides.
The department is at first floor in 914.21 sq.m.area including long corridor , five labs for conducting practical and theory classes for UG and PG students . One Lecture theatre , Museum with Animal Models, Preserved Human embryos , specimens etc. and departmental library with sufficient reference books for P.G. and Research Students .Department has WiFi facility and ICT based teaching learning pedagogy. We also have an animal house, where vermi composting is going on and a pond at Ground Floor. Department conduct workshops, extention lectures for students. Department has a vision to enhance interest in students in understanding the subject in a logical way and inculcate importance of preserving biodiversity of animals and to develop research temper for betterment of society.
Faculties are Members in 7 Boards of Universities,
Reviewer of Bioinformatics publications , members of Editorial Boards of IJRBAT and JABB . Received CRTS Eminent Researcher Award,
Drug Hackathon Certificate from Govt. Of India
Programs of Zoology Department:
1. UG Program .
2. PG with Specialization in Sericulture and Entomology
3. Vocational courses in Sericulture and in vermicomposting
4. Self Finanace Courses in Microbiology (P.G.) Bioinformatics (U.G.) Fish and Fisheries (U.G.)Ph.D.Program
1Phylogenetic and Molecular studies based on Herpatology
- Phylogenetic and Molecular studies based on microflora of vermicopost.
- Neurodegenerative diseases with reference to brain-gut microbial axis ,Phylogenetic studies of microbiota.
- Limnological studies of water bodies: analysis of water samples, plankton density, pollution indicators etc.
5.Biodiversity studies related to entomology,
- Bioinformatic studies related drug designing, Protein-protein interactions etc.
8.Studies related to Migratory birds.
9.Heavy metal Studies related to Industrial Pollution.
From 2015 onwards department has published 34 research papers.
Department have explored 19 new gene sequences of microflora through 16 sS RNA sequencing.
Students from department are making department proud with selections in State PSC as Asstt. Professors.